Wednesday, September 2, 2009

YOU GIVE ME POETRY AGAIN

1.
Who did you awaken in me
last night?
She felt like a person
I used to know.


2.
Rains.
It has poured heavily this month.
Let's listen to it
-together.

3.
A voice.
Just a voice-
and you changed so much.

4.
When you return
I wonder
what will have changed.

I know what will remain unchanged.
-me.

So, come back?

5.
What if you never know?
What if you never find out?
Never.
I didn't know it was such a powerful word until just now.


6.
Chequered table-cloth,
Rain,
A courtyard in quiet bustle.
Phrases, eyes and hands.

When these are over,
the waiter clears the table,
fixes the table-cloth,
pushes the chairs back in.

And nothing ever happened on that table.

7.
You pass
like a day in stasis,
pausing
like an old man,
awkward
like a boy in a new school.

The cars pass us by.
The street
keeps stretching before me
as far are you're walking
-slow,
uncertain,
as though you had left behind
yourself.

8.
Half-emptied cups,
words lingering in air,
Courage,
Aspirations,
Dreams,
Tomorrow.
They all begin with you.

9.
Lazimpat
-busy like every day.
You and I
at nothing.
You just left.
I'm missing.

10.
I searched your face
for
a memory.

It's all you've left behind.

1 comment:

  1. Verse Response to 9.

    In the quest of heaven,
    You left me in hell,
    Betrayers were the rulers,
    Lovers attended the bell...

    ReplyDelete

Zuberi and I

I asked: Do heartbreaks hurt less as we age?  You said: I think as you get older - the current heartbreak is not as intense, but the collect...