Why fumble with your books, your candle,
When something else has taken light inside you?
2.
You come but I am nowhere.
No when. No why. No you.
You leave, and you are everywhere.
No me.
3.
You the sky, and I the astonished earth.
What makes you grow new again inside me?
How should the earth know what you have sown with her,
It is enough that you know: she is big with you.
4.
Before you, there were shadows, fears.
After you the same.
Why do I feel transformed?
5.
What is that knocking?
Who goes there?
Not you, or he, but I.
I knock at my own door
And no one answers.
6.
You move me
Out of stasis.
I see your reflection in the mirror.
I can't tell me from you.
7.
Asleep, and being comforted by a cool breeze,
Suddenly, I saw a grey dove
Soar above the trees and sob with longing;
In her anguish, I heard my own.
8.
These words, my wounds, a homesickness.
A bird calls above the sea.
A light on the shore, a light.
9.
When you left, I did, too.
No I at home any more.
Only this candle, this quiet burning.
10.
My hand
Your hand
Connected
Over
His hand.
No division in
Our hearts.
11.
Down this street, down that one,
To the center of the maze.
Nothing waits us but silence.
12.
And yet, in this abandonment of both
in both, what did we give each other?
In the arms of the cross of our crossing,
what flowers and what thorns
did it gather on the road without end?
No comments:
Post a Comment