Friday, April 16, 2010

Jon in Cambridge



This is my favourite picture of Jon cycling to the University, taken by his friend.

Jon, with the disposition of a geek and the soul of an angel. (So I think of him). I like to think of that moment in stasis, even while I know he's off somewhere to meet friends, professors and work on his papers, which he so loves and on which he sometimes ends up writing a haiku. I like to think of that moment as still, even though I know it's been long since it was over and Jon is probably sitting somewhere in Cambridge right now, drinking coffee and longing for a Halohalo.

I like to think of Jon as always riding along that beautiful cloud of cherry blossoms (is that what they are?), his mind filled with all the intriguing things he's read -including the philosophers I can never understand- and his heart light with the beauty of Cambridge spring. This will always be my favourite picture of Jon, for it so arrests in a single frame what I so long for- books, bookstores, the townsquare where students gather in the evenings, the EAT eatery, punting and a walk along River Cam, by which I once sat down, my arms hurting with the weight of books and pretended I was also a student there.

2 comments:

  1. *blush*

    Such a lovely write-up! I wish it were accurate! :) PhD life is far from romantic. Hehe. But the drinking coffee and longing for halo-halo is scarily prescient. :)

    'The thinking of a person in statis' bit is something I do too, btw! The work of memory and projection? :)

    ---JON

    ReplyDelete
  2. memory and projection! and stasis is so easy to cling to. movement is elusive.

    ReplyDelete

Zuberi and I

I asked: Do heartbreaks hurt less as we age?  You said: I think as you get older - the current heartbreak is not as intense, but the collect...