Friday, December 14, 2012

Kali

I will never forget the way Kali looked at me, as the man from the KAT centre put her into the van. She looked at me to tell me she was helpless. For two days, she hasn't been able to get on her feet. She hasn't even been able to lift her head to eat. The centre says they might have to inject her- mercy killing they call it.
She has a huge tumor in her tummy. How did she raise five puppies in there with a tumor, I can only keep wondering about. How did she jump about trying to protect her babies? How did she fight all the male dogs in the locality with such a huge tumor in her stomach? Must lives end when they become filled with suffering?

Kali's family is scattered all over Kathmandu today. Kali at the centre, the black pup in Chobhar, the black one with a white stripe on the neck in Ganesh Basti, the black one with white patches somewhere in Hepali heights, then the eldest black and the little brown one, still in the pen, yelping under the hens.

Maybe Kali continues to yelp too in pain. She might never have a chance to say goodbye to her children. 

1 comment:

  1. This drove me to tears...i thought the "centre" you were contacting was a vet clinic...
    "death" is the sweetest thing after "suffering" only when one knows where to spend eternity, a place that there's no goodbye...

    ReplyDelete

Zuberi and I

I asked: Do heartbreaks hurt less as we age?  You said: I think as you get older - the current heartbreak is not as intense, but the collect...