Sunday, May 15, 2011

Ides of May

My birthdays are always related to shorts. Why? They have always been. Mid-summer Kathmandu. They were slightly different in Darjeeling, where an umbrella and a cardigan always lurked inside the bag, along with books and a water bottle. When I think of my birthdays, I think of lemonade, chocolate cakes, Archies/Hallmark cards, teddy bears, gift wrappers and shorts. How long and lazy my afternoons are on May 15s, punctuated by phone calls and flurried visits from people who remember.
Bahini's birthday's are always about fingers that were giving up under freezing water, cold morning showers and the fingers turning red under the abir. And a little excitement for the things she received.
These two birthdays in the family- so square in their rituals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zuberi and I

I asked: Do heartbreaks hurt less as we age?  You said: I think as you get older - the current heartbreak is not as intense, but the collect...