Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Please pass on this note to your ex


 You slip a syllable in my sentences

without even knowing what you’ve done.

 

No?

He says, to complete every statement of affirmation.

And I’ve caught up.

 

We’ve never met before,

no?

You say, the first time we meet

 

In a courtyard,

where it is you and me and his presence and absence

all at once

 

I want to say we’ve met.

Between pillow talk, between doing the dishes, during a favourite Bollywood song,

and always when a pot of jaulo is stewing

 

When you throw open your arms towards me, I shrink.

I’m small, not bright, not glowing with the peace

of someone who has left

 

I’m so small,

wanting, aching for

what I can neither leave nor undesire

 

I shrug as I’ve never done, when I respond to your questions.

I’m smiling, more than my jawline can bear.

Grinning is painful.

 

Your hair shines like gold in the late afternoon sun

Your hair, that spread over

 what is now his unused pillow

 

You tilt your head the way he does

when he’s happy,

winking at the setting sun

 

And words make their way to you from somewhere in my ribs

before I am able to edit them:

We should hang out some time, no?

 

Yes, yes. You say.

 

And inside me, I turn to the meaning of

what I used to use the syllable to mean, before him.

Before you.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zuberi and I

I asked: Do heartbreaks hurt less as we age?  You said: I think as you get older - the current heartbreak is not as intense, but the collect...