Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Aryaghat

scares me.
the first time i landed there was to cover someone's death. there was another passing away to cover today. this time, also with hands that reached out to touch A and tell him he had done his best.
i'm scared, nevertheless. i don't know where i find those words to console. do words ever console the dead? i've always wondered. nothing takes away the smell of the pyre you lose your loved one to. so, what can really console?
i wonder if that's where i will be laid someday and brushed down into the Bagmati. i wonder if my loved ones will join me there- maybe the Indian Ocean.
for now, i want to float away.
Kathmandu air is so thick with the dead.

2 comments:

  1. you did not come today. :(

    i was sooo excited about finally meeting you. let's bump into each other accidentally soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear A,
    I've had a long bad, tiring day. Sometimes, I hate my profession. But I love it most days.
    Yes, do let's :) I like long conversations.
    Love,
    P

    ReplyDelete

Zuberi and I

I asked: Do heartbreaks hurt less as we age?  You said: I think as you get older - the current heartbreak is not as intense, but the collect...