Saturday, September 11, 2010

Saturdays with Aki

Aki's fur is soft against my feet. That's her favourite place to be. Sometimes, she raises her head, her chin perched on my thighs and looks out at the world, like she was an old woman, brooding over a major problem.

Aki is such an attention-seeker! Like me. Narcissist too. The other day, she was licking herself in the mirror. Just like I like to read my own words over and over before turning them in to the editor.

On Saturdays, I get to catch her flinging her toys in the air, and catch. I get to cook her meals and watch her relish it. I also get to see Mamu and Aki talk to each other in a weird lingo. And how she pushes herself next to Mamu, just to remain close to her.

Best part of a Saturday is when I get to look up between work and rest my eyes on her baby face- a respite from the computer screen, or look up from my book to a moment completely stolen by her innocence.

To be able to love unconditionally like she does, without hoping that I'll love her back and yet love me without shame and guilt before the world for the way she feels. I want to learn to love like that. Selflessly. Without reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Zuberi and I

I asked: Do heartbreaks hurt less as we age?  You said: I think as you get older - the current heartbreak is not as intense, but the collect...