Can it be true that women only write out of their neurosis. Why is the woman who writes, a woman with and "itch"? And why does she draw her inspiration for writing from the more mundane things? Mundane things, such as a heartbreak. Such as longings and everything else that should be present in a life but isn't.
Can it be true, that I write because I find no joy in living? Because life has nothing to offer but a bunch of people who pretend not to understand me? Or do I write because people have started to believe more than ever that I'm insane and I need to keep writing to prove to myself, more then to the people, that I'm still sane? I'm not sure.
It scares the life out of me to think I write out of madness. Maybe I write to get the madness out of me. But why should writing scare me? Maybe something about concretizing your fear- giving it shape in words, letters, pharases and sentences. Maybe I confirm my fears when I write. But what does that matter? Erica Jong says, writing is a way of conquering your fears.
Wasn't it last night that I was reading about this woman who wrote at the speed of her adrenalin just because she wanted to prove her lover wrong? Well... all he did was said she couldn't write. And she wrote in such speedy fear, she finished a novel in a month. And when the book was published, she went to Venice to celebrate it and kissed so many men under the bridges in the night, who dispersed into the sunlight like vampires. And she returned home to act like nothing ever happened. The story of that woman made me wonder what her conscience might tell her.
But this morning, I heard Maa talk about this woman who wept because she didn't want to go back to her huband and children. She had run away with a boy 8 years her junior and she claimed she was in love. She didn't want to go home but they dragged her home. Maa said the woman had gone mad to leave her children like that. And I wondered what kind of madness that must be. So I pushed aside the story of that woman from the kitchen sink and started cooking for Aki. Only Aki brings me sanity. Only her soul-searching eyes mean sanity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Zuberi and I
I asked: Do heartbreaks hurt less as we age? You said: I think as you get older - the current heartbreak is not as intense, but the collect...
-
on what life meant to make out of faith
-
Mamu touched my hair the other day and said: This is not the hair of the girl I birthed. What did you do to your hair? I touched my hair, im...
-
i cannot imagine how you put up with a man who drags you by your nape and tells you to go to your room and puts you out in the night. it...
You are thinking too much into it Pratee. I think you write because you know the world deserves to hear your voice. It is too passionate, potent and endearing to be kept inside, all for yourself. (won't that be the most selfish thing ever?) And yes maybe a little insanity is involved but are you assuming the rest of us completely sane?
ReplyDeletemost of my friends are insane :P includes you. I've been following your blog ardently.
ReplyDelete